Devils Workshop

has been moved to new address

http://www.mommytruths.com

Sorry for inconvenience...

Mommy Truths: Crocs or Not?

Mommy Truths

The Hard Learned Lessons and Eye Opening Realities of Raising Young Kids

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Crocs or Not?

I just had my first experience of relenting to my child’s need for coolness, peer pressure, please-please-please-can-I-have-them? versus my goal of practicality. We entered the shoe store with me intent on buying a pair of Teva’s or similar sandal for the beach and hot summer day playing and a pair of Keens or something similar for avoiding wood chips on the playground and hiking in the woods. Since Son’s toes were hanging over his sandals from the February Florida trip, we were starting from scratch.

But, upon entering the store, he spotted the Crocs display and exclaimed, “Crocs! Oooooh, Crocs! Pleeeeeeaaaase, Mom, can I get some???” Where, oh where did this come from? I was naively shocked at how clued in he was on summer kids fashion. We have never discussed this type of shoe, I’ve never mentioned the brand, and he can’t read. How did he know what they were? (Silly, clueless Me.) There I was, begging, pestering him for details on who exposed him to this fashion while he ran around the display, pulling off any size and color he could dislodge from the hooks.

Mom: “We’ll see honey. We’re going to try on lots of shoes, practical shoes, and we’ll see what works. "

Son: “I LOVE Crocs! Please, can I get some?”

Mom: “Where did you hear about them? Who told you about Crocs? I just don’t understand where this came from?”

Son: Completely ignoring my need for more information. “Please….. Mom….”

And where did he learn that sweet pleading reaps more rewards than whining? Oh, right, I give in more.

Mom to Store Manager: “How do they stay on? I don’t see how he can run in those. Let me try on a pair. Ooohhhh, they’re very comfortable. Oh, I see how they stay on. Okay, let him try a pair.”

We leave with Bob the Builder Crocs in navy blue, my son tripping over his feet.

Mom: “But they don’t even look comfortable. Are you sure they fit okay? You’re tripping!”

Son: “They’re fine.” Huge smile. Happy face. Doesn’t want them to get wet or dirty (Crocs?!) and puts them in secret, special place of honor in his room.

I gave in because I loved satisfying his longing. But what will I do when Daughter turns 10, 11, 12, etc. and wants 4” heels?

What would you do in a similar situation? Be practical and avoid tripping or let him have his way?
Post your comment.

PS
At the cash register:

Store Manager: "Do you want some Jibbitz?"

Mom: "Don't even go there."

Store Manager: "Chicken."

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At June 17, 2008 at 12:57 PM , Blogger The Suchta family said...

I love your blog. It is so informative. So many great tips! I have a 2 year old and I really like your suggestions. Thanks!

Claudia

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home